Posted by Coach Todd
on Jul 2, 2012 in Workouts
“Ive trained, sweated, puked, tried, erred, competed, lost, and won. What Ive learned through it all is that it was all up to me. We all face barriers, but its up to us to decide how we face them. Ive survived the military, called my car home, had no money, and lived on nothing but tuna and beans. My success came from the fact that I never let go of my passion, and I was willing to work hard. How hard are you willing to work and how bad do you want it?” ~ Sagi Kalev
You can push and pull weights all day long and not get results. It comes down to how you train. Are you going to train like you actually WANT the results? Are you going to push as hard as possible and when you complete your workout, be confident saying that, “I gave 110%”…Like Sagi says…”How bad do you want it?”
The coolest part about this program is that Sagi has designed the BODY BEAST workouts to maximize the results of those efforts. Similar to the concept of muscle confusion that we see with P90X, the BODY BEAST workout schedule is broken up into 3 different “blocks” to keep your muscles guessing and to prevent any plateauing. The result is massive gains!!! Lets now take a look at the BODY BEAST schedules that are available!
What are my options? – BODY BEAST Workout Schedule
With the P90X workout schedule, you saw a few options; the classic routine, the lean routine, and a doubles routine. In BODY BEAST, there are two workout schedules for people with different goals.
BODY BEAST Workout Schedule #1 – HUGE BEAST
Just like the title says, HUGE BEAST! This training schedule is focused purely on mass. One of the primary enemies for someone who is looking solely to gain mass and isnt so much worried about a small amount of added body fat % is going to be intense cardio. The HUGE BEAST workout schedule is only going to have 1 day of cardio per week. They even give you the option of subbing the cardio workout for a Total Body and Abs workout.
(click below to download the HUGE BEAST Worout Schedule in PDF format)
BEAST Workout Schedule #2 – LEAN BEAST
Not everyone has a body fat percentage that is below 10% when starting a mass gaining program. The LEAN BEAST workout shedule was designed for those who want to shed some body fat as well. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose, then I dont recommend you be doing BODY BEAST at all. You should be doing P90X or Insanity and you need to visit the Nutrition Zone to find out the best way to tackle fat loss!
(click below to download the LEAN BEAST Worout Schedule in PDF format)
The primary goal whether you choose HUGE BEAST or LEAN BEAST still needs to be aimed at health! Getting big is great and muscles are awesome, but it cant come at the cost of your health. And I am going to keep saying that over and over, because what I dont want is my team getting a careless attitude about how to gain mass. It takes just as much care and precision to gain mass the right way, as it does to lose weight the right way.
BODY BEAST Workout Principle: Dynamic Set Training
All of the BODY BEAST workouts are based on the principle of Dynamic Set Training, which Sagi has developed based on a unique combination of old school and new school bodybuilding techniques. Before we get into the individual workouts, I wanted to go through each type of training set that you will see in BODY BEAST. You have probably seen some of these, but you most likely havent mixed them together like Sagi has done here!
Single Sets: 1 exercise only
Super Sets: Any 2 exercise movements done back-to-back without rest
Giant Sets: 3 exercise movements, done back-to-back and all target the same muscle group
Multi-Sets: 3 exercises that dont target similar muscle groups
Force Sets: 5 sets of 5 reps, with 10 seconds of rest between each set
Progressive Sets: A pyramid that goes from high reps to low reps, takes a break, then back up to high reps. Example: 15 reps, 12 reps, 8 reps – 90 second rest – 8 reps, 12 reps, 15 reps.
Combo Sets: Compound exercises, which is any exercise that works more than one muscle group using more than one joint.
Circuit Sets: Moving from one exercise to another without rest
Tempo Sets: Holds a contraction for a given amount of time. Example: 6 seconds of concentric action, then 6 seconds of eccentric action.
The Workout Blocks – BODY BEAST Workout Schedule
BLOCK 1 – BUILD Series
The BUILD series is going to focus on synergistic muscle groups. That means muscle that work together like chest and triceps, back and biceps, etc…What these training series allow you to do is get strong and build a solid foundation to work on. Remember what Steve Edwards said when developing P90X2; “You cant fire a canon from a canoe”. These workouts are going to use the best of “old-school bodybuilding” techniques in the most time-efficient way. But also in a way that promotes intensity, a challenge, and brings you innovative ways of doing these old school moves! When the BUILD Series is used before the BULK Series in the next block, this produces an extremely powerful mass-building effect!
- Focused on the muscles of your chest and triceps, a combination of Super, Giant, and Single Sets will create strength and definition. Time: 48:53
- Create that “V” shape with bigger lats, traps, rhomboids, and biceps. You are going to see lots of pulling and curling! Time: 50:05
- Focused on building powerful quads, hamstrings, calves, and glutes. Time: 38:19
- Focused on creating the perfect diamond shaped deltoids. Time: 38:19
Block 2 – BULK Series
These workouts are going to take what you have built with old-school bodybuilding techniques in the BUILD phase and now focus on “new-school” techniques. Some of the new-school techniques are: keeping the muscles under tension for 40 to 70 seconds rather than focusing on reps alone. You will use both slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscles for greater testosterone production. You will get closer to 1 minute rest between sets. And the workouts will only last 30 to 60 minutes to further maximize testosterone production.
- Uses Super Sets, Force Sets, Progressive Sets, Combo Sets, and Multi-Sets with an increase in resistance to help bulk you pecs. The pec is a fan shaped muscle and with different angle and exercises, you will be able to hit all the different fibers in that fan shape. The addition of Progressive sets is going to focus on muscular hypertrophy. Time: 30:07
- Uses Super Sets and Force Sets with an increase in resistance to create a massive back. The addition of Force Sets creates a focus on hypertrophy. Time: 29:05
- Super Sets and Progressive Sets that focus on the posterior delt (the back of the shoulder), creates a more 3D appearance. Added weight and lower reps pronounce the hypertrophy effect. Time: 35:20
- Focused training with Progressive Set, Force Sets and Super Sets to create huge biceps and triceps. Time 35:37
- Progressive Sets, Force Sets, and Super Sets will help you build massive quads, hams, and calves. Time 41:14
Block 3 – BEAST Series
Now its time to BEAST UP! You are going to see a lot of changes in Block 3 of BODY BEAST. Your nutrition has changed in order to shed fat and cut up. These workouts are going to focus on the same thing, getting you cut. The pace will increase, the training moves will change and you are going to sweat! In this series you are literally going to be able to feel your muscles grow because they have no choice!
- We all know that abs arent just for washing your laundry. A strong core is essential for lifting heavier weights safely and helps to improve your posture. Time: 10:32
- This is a performance oriented cardio workout that will not only help you cut, but it will also increase your ability to get bigger! Time: 30:10
BEAST: Total Body
- A circuit routine for you entire body. This workout is great to use as a makeup when you…miss a workout (gasp!) Time: 38:36
- Uses Tempo Sets to promote hypertrophy where you can feel your muscles grow. Time: 52:24
- Same as above, just a different muscle group. Time: 48:25
- Seven exercises, seven pyramids, seven time more gains! Similar to Total Body, this workout can be done anytime the schedule calls for a full body workout, or to make up for a missed workout. Time: 22:38
This should give you a better idea of how the BODY BEAST Workout Schedule and calendar are set up! Be sure you bookmark this page for reference in case you lose your Book Of BEAST that has the BODY BEAST workout schedule in it. Also, be sure you print of whichever schedule you are going to go with so that you dont have to keep referencing the guide book.
Select package options on next page:
If this post was helpful, be sure you share with your friends who are doing BODY BEAST as well! I know these types of resources were always helpful for me with P90X!