Posted by Coach Todd
on Jan 14, 2013 in Workouts
A lot of people think that just because they are doing the P90X Doubles schedule that they are going to get better results…
Thats not always exactly true and there are 3 specific reasons people dont get the results they want with the P90X doubles schedule – We will get to those in a moment, but lets first just cover real quick for review what the doubles schedule looks like and what its purpose is.
What Is P90X Doubles?
P90X Doubles schedule takes the Classic schedule to the next level really. Doubles adds an additional cardio workout to your Classic schedule 3-4 days per week. The doubles schedule is for those who are looking for some extra cardiovascular performance along with some additional weight loss.
P90X Fitness Guide Warning: Those attempting Doubles should be completely injury free and have plenty of energy to add another workout to the schedule three or four days per week. The Cardio X workout is the least intense of the P90X series, but its still a serious calorie-burner”
Like I had previously mentioned though, there are some hidden pit-falls that people run into blind when making the choice that P90X Doubles are going to get them better results. So lets go ahead and cover those pit-falls now so that you can make the best choice on which schedule you want to follow that fits your desired goals.
P90X Doubles Pit-Fall #1 – Recovery
This is a common mistake that many new P90X-ers make…Not giving your body time to recover.
Recovery involves a few aspects, which are: post-workout nutrition, hydration, and sleep.
- Post-Workout Nutrition: This is vital in making sure that your muscles get the nutrients they need in order to grow and gain strength. You need to be drinking a proper recovery drink within a 45 minute window of finishing your workout. I personally use the P90X Recovery Formula, but I there is also some great P90X Recovery Drink alternatives that you might consider. You can also use Shakeology as a great recovery drink.
- Hydration: You are going to be sore…I guarantee it! Drinking plenty of water can help flush out toxins from your body and prevent dehydration, which can make muscle soreness even more painful. While there is no consensus on how much water you should drink, somewhere around 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day is a good starting point.
- Sleep: This is when your muscles repair the most and its also when your body releases growth hormones. If you are not getting at least 8 hours of sleep during a doubles routine, you are only increasing your risk of injury and decreasing your potential results. Your muscles need all the time they can get to repair and prepare for the next routine.
P90X Doubles Pit-Fall #2 – Energy
Most people go into a doubles schedule with a “balls to the wall” mentality without really thinking about how this routine is going to affect their body/mind.
Think about how you feel after a Chest & Back workout…Now go ahead and toss a Cardio X workout in there at the end of the day, 3-4 days per week (as if you werent tired enough). Its taxing on the body and the mind. Most people find they have absolutely zero energy and cannot keep up the doubles schedule and the reason being is because they are not taking in more energy!
Food is our energy source and if you are doing P90X Doubles then you need to add between 300-400 calories to whatever you were taking in on your Classic routine. If you are planning on doing Doubles, then do these three things:
- Calculate your P90X nutrition intake to maintain your current weight
- Determine your calorie deficit to lose weight
- Add 300-400 calories to that final number for a Doubles schedule
P90X Doubles Pit-Fall #3 – Motivation
Keeping up your normal P90X motivation is hard enough…adding in 3-4 more workouts per week makes it that much more difficult to stay committed and that much more easy to make excuses.
P90X is already difficult as it is and people love to think that from day-1 they are going to have the same attitude and motivation level through day-90, but the sad fact is that because its so difficult…you WILL want to quit! I dont care if you are the most dedicated, motivated person on the face of the planet – there will come a time in your P90X journey that you will want to quit. When people add in the Doubles workouts, it only compounds and accelerates the desire to quit.
The best thing you can do going into “P90X Doubles” is know that it is absolutely going to kick your butt and you will want to quit. You need to have an action plan to combat what your body/mind is telling you to do! There are actually 3 ways to ensure you stick with it and reach your goal with a Doubles schedule.
- Join RIPPEDCLUB for accountability in our exclusive RIPPEDCLUB team facebook group. And you get ME (Coach Todd) as your FREE Team Beachbody coach to make sure you have all the resources you need to complete your journey!
- Have a giant “WHY” – meaning “why” you are doing what you are doing. Your why need to have some deep rooted emotion in it and it has to be able to drive you when you want to quit. My “why” is because I have been blessed with this one body by God and I want to set a good example for my family.
- Join a P90X challenge group. This is where some serious results are formed! You can click here to learn more about challenge groups.
P90X Doubles Wont Always Get You The BEST Results!
Thats important to understand! Just because you start out doing Doubles does not mean that you are going to be able to continue that routine for 90 days. Some people can and some people will, but its very uncommon.
The BEST results will come from consistently pressing play and consistently focusing on your nutrition!
…Its that simple!
When you enter your name and email to get my 5 day bootcamp series over on the right, you are going to be an expert on how to get the BEST results possible – and before you know it, you will be the one holding a $1000 check from the Beachbody Challenge!
‘Like & Share’ this post on P90X Doubles if you got some value from it!